Saturday, June 22, 2013

Day 9 - Gorham, Maine to West Rutland, Vermont

Today we drove from Gorham, Maine to West Rutland, Vermont. On the way we stopped at Lake Winnipesaukee, which is a huge lake in the middle of New Hampshire. There we had the annual tour picnic. It was very peaceful, and the lake was beautiful.  We traveled on to St. Bridget's Catholic Church in West Rutland, VT, where Terry's best friend Brian of 35 years lives. When we arrived at the church we were greeted by Father Vince and his dog Barney. The church was made of marble from Vermont and was breathtaking. The parishioners were from St. Bridget's and Saint Stanislaus Kostka Catholic Church, and they worked together to feed us a delicious Italian dinner. The sound of the bells filled the church. One guest was overhead saying about the ringers, "they looked like regular teenagers at dinner, but after dinner turned into professional musicians." After the concert, the ringers gathered in the fellowship hall for cookies, brownies, ice cream and other desserts. We were blown away by the hospitality and generosity of this church. The next morning they fed us a delicious breakfast and sent us with many care packages for the next day's journey. We will never forget this concert and the people we met.
The picnic crew sets up the lunch. This group did all the planning and shopping for the meal. We had a delicious lunch!


St.Bridget's Catholic Church

Bryce heads down the dinner line.














We have had great host homes on the 2013 WBR Tour. Many of us have had the opportunity to stay in homes that were built in the 1800's. Here some of the girls stayed with Kathy. She is a quilter and shared with us her work in the Linus Project.

Terry and Brian - Thanks Brian for setting up this most memorable visit to West Rutland.

Notes from the Ringers:


Well, as my final days as a Wesley Bell Ringer approach I sit on the bus and reflect about all the past moments that I have enjoyed in the choir. My first tour was undoubtedly the best experience I have had in the choir until yesterday. During the day we went to Lake Winnipesaukee t o have the regular tour picnic. This place was absolutely stunning! The whole environment was pristine and painted with a glorious green forest. There was a dock that looked out upon the lake where we all ate our lunch. While eating with my feet hanging off the dock dipping into the water and looking on this glorious scene I began to realize how perfect this day was shaping up to be. After the choir recollected itself at the lake it was off to play a concert in Rutland, Vermont. This church was made out of the purest Vermont marble and had a sanctuary that could rival any you have ever been in. The people that occupied the congregation reflected the  glorious building we were in. They were very kind, and generous with their hospitality. I have never experienced a church that was more willing to make our stay comfortable and was so supportive of our organization. After a catered dinner, the concert we played was fantastic and wholesome as the acoustics lit the entire room with sound. After playing we were presented with a very generous donation. I was shocked by how kind these people have been to us, but they didn’t stop here. After the concert there was a desert bar and in the morning they provided the most delectable breakfast I have ever had. The beauty I experienced yesterday was only a taste of what the whole area has to offer and I crave a longer stay. I will be back later in life to fully enjoy everything this special place has to offer. –Bryce

Today was the day we had the picnic I look forward to every year! Desi, Alec, Alicia G, Shannon L, Braden, and I were in charge of the shopping and we bought a lot of delicious food! We went up to this beautiful lake and ate while we soaked our feet in the lake; it was such a great afternoon. Then we drove to the most gorgeous church I have ever seen! They made us a huge Italian spread for dinner, including lasagna, baked ziti, meatballs and garlic bread! During the concert they presented us with a super nice donation and I honestly couldn’t believe it , I am so grateful for their generosity! They also had a huge desert and a delicious breakfast spread in the morning! I’ve never had a church do so much for us! The atmosphere of the church and the people in it was something I have never ever experienced in my four years of the choir, and I know I will never forget it!  –Catherine

No comments: